Pages

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

spending time with oldies…

I’m sorry for the delay of my blog. had lots of stuff over the week. Anyway, last Jan. 28, we had our institution work for NSTP. We chose home for the aged in Marikina. Man that was far! Literal na namundok ako. It’s actually for the elders of Manila who were abandoned or nowhere to go to but the location’s there. I thin kit’s too congested in Manila so they placed it there. Anyway, we arrived there considerably really late but what the heck?? There were four groups who joined forces to entertain, spend time with the grannies. Most of all, let them feel that they are appreciated and loved. In the few hours that I’ve been there, I can’t help but feel sorry for them. ‘Course I didn’t let it show. But really my heart was breaking. Just imagine yourself old and weak, with other old people you don’t know, far away from the hustle and bustle of the Metro (they lived in Manila so they’re used to the noise and all) sleeping in an uncomfy bed, eating with plastic utensils, food is limited and all the other stuff you’re being deprived when you’r not in your “comfort zone”… It’s really sad and devastating to see them there knowing that they have families outside who instead are responsible for them. Some of the rooms there were even like those in jails! These are people! They need care and love. What a way to show it. As we were preparing and handing them their meals, I can’t help but think what if my lola was there when she was still alive. Nakakalungkot talaga. They were like kids asking for an extra scoop of soup ( though it’s really sauce). They’re fun to be with. You jus sit beside them, introduce yourself and they’ll be starting to tell you everything and anything. A lolo even sang Narda. Hippie!haha!=P They even danced. I can say that our mission there was a big accomplishment. Even n a short span of time, we were able to make them feel that they are loved. The lola I talked to, her name was lola Louisa even told me to pay her a visit again. Grabe talaga longing nila. Some of us even got teary-eyed when a representative said that they were really thankful to us for making them feel that they are loved. So people don’t take your grannies for granted. Hug and kiss them always. Make them feel that they are loved. Once they’re gone you can’t do anything about it. I hope that all of the lolos and lolas there feel that they are much loved. That’s it for now. ‘til then..=)

No comments:

Post a Comment